July 23, 2009
Here’s what we are reading today.
- “Councilmen waver on new state gay marriage bill,” Jenna Chandler, The Porterville Recorder (July 22, 2009)
- “Abortion Opponents Criticize Health Reform Bills,” Dan Eggen and Rob Stein, The Washington Post (July 22, 2009)
- “Taxpayer-Funded Abortion Is Not Health-Care Reform,” John Boehner, National Review (July 23, 2009)
- “Obama Staffer Speaks at Planned Parenthood Event, Urges Pro-Abortion Lobbying,” Steven Ertelt, LifeNews.com (July 23, 2009)
- “Taliban cracking down on Christians,” Allie Martin, OneNewsNow (July 23, 2009)
- “Non-embryonic stem cells pass major hurdle in mice,” Seth Borenstein, Associated Press (July 23, 2009)
“President Obama, who has vowed to find common ground on culture-war issues, finds himself in the middle of a classic Washington dispute over abortion that is further undermining support among conservative Democrats for his ambitious health-care reform efforts.”
“The Obama administration contends the urgent deadline is necessitated by the suffering of American families who have waited too long for Congress to act to address the high cost of health care. But according to the independent Congressional Budget Office (CBO), the bill the president supports won’t lower health-care costs; it will increase them. And as the veteran political operatives in the Obama White House well know, the frantic timetable conveniently leaves precious little time for the American people to know what’s actually in the bill.”
“A top official with the administration of pro-abortion President Barack Obama spoke to gathering of Planned Parenthood activists last week. There, she promised leaders of the abortion business that Obama is a pro-abortion president and urged them to continue their pro-abortion lobbying efforts.”
“According to Open Doors USA, raids against Christians, carried out by the Taliban, have increased throughout Pakistan and Afghanistan. Dr. Carl Moeller, president of Open Doors USA, says the Taliban does not tolerate anyone who thinks or believes differently than they do. Christians are being evicted from their homes, he says, and some are being forced to convert to Islam or pay special taxes in exchange for protection.”
“Two teams of Chinese scientists have made a major advance in mice in the development of a new kind of stem cell that doesn’t involve destroying embryos.
Those cells are derived from ordinary skin cells, and when they were created two years ago from human skin and genetically reprogrammed, it was hailed as a breakthrough. But questions remained whether they could act as chameleon-like as embryonic stem cells and morph into any cell type in the body.”