July 23, 2007
WHEN: Thursday, July 26, 2007 @ 10 AM ET
WHAT: The U.S. Senate is expected very soon to attempt an override of President Bushs veto of the bill to force taxpayers to fund embryonic stem cell research. Patients from around the world who have been successfully treated with adult stem cells will be joining the news conference. Doctors will discuss the impact of their work and how adult stem cell research holds the most promise in treating patients.
- Stephen Sprague has been completely free of his leukemia since his cord blood stem cell treatment almost 10 years ago.
- Eight years ago, Doug Rice was told he had two years left to live with congestive heart failure. He was successfully treated with his own adult stem cells that were injected into his heart.
- Dr. Amit Patel, a doctor with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, has treated numerous patients for heart damage with adult stem cells.
- Dr. Julio Voltarelli, Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, has successfully treated Juvenile (Type I) diabetes patients with their own adult stem cells.
- Prof. Francisco Silva, Vice President of Research and Development for PrimeCell Therapeutics, has been involved in studies using adult stem cells to treat patients with heart damage and spinal cord injury.
WHERE: National Press Club (Lisagor Room)